Criminal Injury Compensation Claims
If you are in the unfortunate position to have been a victim of a violent crime in England or Wales you may be entitled to compensation through the Criminal Injury Compensation scheme.
You can apply for compensation for:
- physical injuries
- disabling mental injuries
- sexual or physical abuse
- the death of a close relative
- paying for someone’s funeral
- loss of earnings and expenses
The scheme has very stringent criteria including but not limited to the following:
- Nationality requirements for the person bringing the claim;
- The crime must have taken place in England, Wales or Scotland and must have been reported to the police;
- In most cases you must apply within 2 years of the crime happening although you may be able to apply after this time if you are claiming because of childhood sexual or physical abuse or because you could not claim earlier
- The injury you have sustained must fall within the tariff of injuries detailed under the CICA 2021 scheme.
If you are claiming for Psychological injuries these must be diagnosed by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist.