Motoring Offences Prices
Unfortunately, legal aid is not usually available for motoring offences. In some cases, where there is a real risk of imprisonment, you may be eligible for legal aid in which case we will discuss this with you and if applicable apply for legal aid on your behalf.
Initial review of papers
- Initial review of papers and advice on how to proceed £200 ex VAT
Drink Driving Offences
- Guilty plea (case concluded at first hearing): £500 plus VAT
- Guilty plea (case adjourned for pre-sentence report): £625 plus VAT
- 2 hours attendance/preparation:
- considering evidence
- taking your instructions
- providing advice on likely sentence
- Attendance and representation at a single hearing at Cardiff Magistrates Court and Newport Magistrates Court for other Courts please call for a cost to travel
The fee does not include:
- instruction of any expert witnesses
- taking statements from any witnesses
- advice and assistance in relation to a special reason hearing
- attendance at a subsequent hearing if required
- advice or assistance in relation to any appeal
- attending hearings at a magistrates court other than Cardiff Magistrates Court and Newport Magistrates Court for other Courts please call for a cost to travel
The key stages of your matter are based on the presumption that you have entered a guilty plea and have a date for your hearing.
- Meet with your solicitor to provide instructions on what happened.
- We will consider initial disclosure, and any other evidence and provide advice.
- Arranging to take any witness statements if necessary (this will have an additional cost, of £100 ex vat per witness statement provided witness attends upon our offices).
- We will explain the court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of your hearing, and the sentencing options available to the court.
- We will conduct any further preparatory work, obtain further instructions from you if necessary and answer any follow up queries you have.
- We cannot provide a timescale of when your hearing will take place, as this depends on the court listing for that day.
- We will attend court on the day and meet with you before going before the court. We anticipate being at court for half a day.
- We will discuss the outcome with you. If advice is required on appeal, this will carry an additional cost.
If you are caught speeding the person who owns the vehicle will receive a notice of intended prosecution. This usually includes details of the offence such as location, time and place that the offence was committed. The owner of the vehicle will be asked to complete a s172 notice to identify the driver.
We can assist you if you are challenging a speeding offence for any of the following reasons:
- You are not the driver of the car
- The speed limit sign was incorrect or not visible
- The speed limit sign was missing
- The car was stolen
If you wish to challenge a speeding offence, please contact us for an initial appointment in which we can consider the papers and provide advice as to the merits of your case for a fee of £200 ex VAT.
The costs of challenging a speeding offence through to trial can range between £2,000 and £5,000 plus VAT and disbursements, depending on the complexity of the case.
*VAT is charged at 20%
If you have any queries about your specific circumstances, please do not hesitate to contact us on 02920 765050 and we will be happy to discuss our price estimates with you.